Position Title: Environment / Health / Safety (EHS) Specialist
Department / Group: OPS/CORP
Position Reports To: Primary – Director, Supply Chain / Secondary – Manager QA/QC
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Approx # of People Supervised: 0
Job Grade: E4
Summary / Purpose of Position:
The primary function is to provide leadership of company’s (United Animal Health (UAH), Microbial Discovery Group (MDG), and Prairie Systems (PES)) environmental, health and safety programs. Role will educate, train, and provide support to operations in the development and execution of consistent safety, health and environmental management programs. Directs accident investigation programs, develop accident trends, and design programs for improving performance. Ensures compliance with all safety and environmental programs. Improves the quality of safety and environmental management processes following established regulations, policies, standards, and practices.
Primary Job Responsibilities / Duties:
- Collaborate with operations management, production employees, safety outsourcing partner and others, to ensure compliance with related regulations, policies, procedures and processes.
- Ensure compliance and readiness to execute corporate Safety and Emergency Response plans (SERP); develop Environmental Management Plan (EMP) that aligns with corporate strategy and operational environments.
- Develop and publish safety policies and procedures (SOPs) to ensure company’s compliance with local, state and federal safety regulations.
- Facilitate all related training to employees and others to compliance with regulatory standards, increase safety proficiency and promote safety consciousness.
- Coordinate proactive corporate safety and environmental program to ensure its effectiveness in planning and implementing business relevant EHS programs.
- Facilitate all incident investigations, insurance inspections and O.S.H.A. investigations and inspections.
- Inspect both production, research and laboratory facilities to detect existing or potential accident or health hazards and recommend corrective or preventative measures; ensure corrective actions are tracked and completed in a timely manner.
- Audit safety supplies and other outsourced safety products for compliance with company and regulatory requirements.
- Facilitate unannounced safety audits/inspections on all shifts in manufacturing locations and in administrative offices.
- Oversee accident (DOT included) investigations to assure root cause analysis is conducted and corrective action is implemented to minimize recurrences.
- Monitor changes in local, state & federal safety regulations and determine how those changes impact the company’s safety compliance program and policies.
- Coordinate workman’s compensation claims process with operations managers; receive, gather and communicate accident claim information to workman’s compensation carrier.
- Track and monitor safety data and workers compensation costs in order to effectively reduce frequency of accidents and all costs associated with accidents occurring within the company.
- Coordinate with HR/Payroll regarding workers compensation cases and their associated costs as appropriate; ensures correct employee compensation payments.
- Prepare and deliver reports to senior management to assess status and progress toward achievement of EHS goals.
- Maintain all environmental/safety-related records required by corporate, regulatory, or other entities.
- Attend safety conferences and join safety professional organizations to build additional knowledge and learn EHS best practices.
- Ensure all OSHA 300 and 300A and other OSHA electronic reporting is completed annually and all SDS data base management information is entered into the system in a timely manner.
Additional Job Responsibilities / Duties:
- Other duties and responsibilities, as assigned
Typical Work Environment
- Exposed to a variety of environmental conditions in the mills including dusty conditions.
- Able to safely climb ladders to access equipment and storage bins.
- Required traveling and overnight stays to mills, customer sites and away meeting (approx. 30%)
Minimum Job Qualification Requirements:
- Certified Safety Profession (CSP) preferred
- OHSA 30 Hour Certification
Education / Training:
- BS Degree in Agriculture or Occupational or Industrial Safety
Relevant Job Experience:
- 5+ years experience working in a manufacturing environment
- 3+ years experience working in an industrial safety role or responsible for safety and employee welfare
Specialized Job/Technical Knowledge Of:
- Federal, state and local safety regulations
- Components of an effective commercial/corporate safety program
- First aid procedures and ability to administer first aid in an emergency situation
- How to use safety monitoring equipment
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work effectively with others
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Excellent computer skills, including Excel, Outlook & MS Word
- Excellent tact and motivational skills in attaining buy-in and accountability from management and employees to embrace EHS practices everyday
- Assertive and professional demeanor to hold employees and management accountable for compliance to all safety regulations and following proper safety procedures
- Team player across all organizational functions
Licenses / Certification:
- Ability to lift 50 or more pounds periodically
- Ability to climb ladders, work from heights and work in confined spaces periodically
- Ability to work in noisy and dusty environments occasionally with fluctuating temperatures
- Follow all company safety procedures and safety regulations
- Adhere to manufacturing safety manual when working in facility doing audits, etc.