Feed Mill Manager – Gridley
Position Reports To: Sr. Manager – Manufacturing Ops
Approx. # of People Supervised: 5-15
Location: Gridley, Illinois
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Job Grade: E5
Summary/Purpose of Position:
The primary function or purpose of this position is to provide the daily leadership and direction to all site employees for the day-to-day operation of the feed mill. This position has responsibility in every aspect of the operation, including quality of product, delivery, financials, ordering, purchasing, sales, compliance, safety, staffing, training, employee relations and policy.
Primary Job Responsibilities/Duties:
- Provide direction to site employees and assign work so that processes and procedures are followed. Follow up to assure work is completed and orders filled in a timely manner, plus look for means of improving efficiencies and quality. Deal with all employee issues, including hiring, firing, training, development, compensation, evaluations & policy implementation
- Oversight and use of financial and production metrics
- Oversight of EHS, FDA, and other regulatory compliance, assuring that all activities at the feed mill comply with all regulations
- Perform office/administrative duties relevant to specific plant
- Inventory control of all ingredients, vitamins, drug inventory, etc.
- Interaction with customers and suppliers to enhance business relationships and promote business opportunities plus solve issues and problems as they arise
- Oversight of the safety program for the feed mill assuring safety procedures are followed and necessary training takes place
- Understanding of operating software systems including but not limited to Smart Order, GP, WoW, FMM, and Repete
- Fill in for production staff vacation and sick days
- Monitor incoming orders with production schedule to ensure orders are fulfilled in a timely manner.
Additional Job Responsibilities/Duties
- Other duties and responsibilities, as assigned
- Deal with quality issues, payroll, plant reports, regulatory inspections, etc., as needed
Typical Work Environment
- Majority of work is conducted in production plant environment or office setting.
- Exposure to dust and equipment noise. PPE provided and encouraged.
Minimum Job Qualification Requirements:
- BS Degree in Business or Agriculture or equivalent relevant professional experience
- Training on leading others, including motivational techniques and conflict resolution skills
- Qualified Individual education, training or experience necessary to manufacture, process, pack, or hold safe animal food appropriate to the individual’s assigned duties
Relevant Job Experience:
- 3 – 5 years of professional experience in the feed industry
- 2 – 3 years of experience leading others
Specialized Job/Technical Knowledge:
- Knowledge of financial and accounting principles
- Knowledge of OSHA 1910 standards, plus FDA, DOT & CGMP regulations
- Knowledge of animal nutrition concepts
- Knowledge of computer systems and Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of process flow systems and computerized batching systems
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent communications skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Conflict Resolution skills
- Excellent leadership skills
- Forklift license
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to lift 60 lbs.
- Ability to climb stairs or ladders and work from heights
- Follow all company safety procedures and safety regulations
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Possess a mechanical understanding of product manufacturing, flow and optimization
- Possess a general understanding of the electronic control of conveying, mixing, and packaging equipment and the PLCs for operation.