Field Support Technician (FST) – HeadStart
Position Title: Field Support Technician (FST) – HeadStart
Department/Group: AN / AH / Research – Technical Service
Position Reports To: Manager-Production Solutions
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Approx. # of People Supervised: 0
Summary/Purpose of Position:
The primary purpose of this position is to provide technical support to United Animal Health (UAH) customers and sales force for its HeadStart (HDST) program. The FST will help to expand UAH business by bringing high level customer service, knowledge, insights, solutions and relationships to enhance our value proposition and achieve optimal long-term use of our HeadStart products with targeted poultry accounts. The Field Support Technician will be responsible for traveling within the United States to help with the installation and technical support of the HeadStart machines.
United Animal Health Core Competencies:
- Responsibility & Initiative: Field Support Technicians hold himself or herself and fellow employees to a high standard of performance, personal accountability and professionalism. They take initiative to do what is needed and work to achieve positive company results in a timely, trusting, and effective manner.
- Interpersonally Adaptable: Field Support Technicians respectfully adapt to others internally or externally. They communicate effectively within a variety of work situations. They engage with a variety of people and appreciate differing opinions and perspectives.
- Customer Centric: Field Support Technicians focus on discovering and understanding the needs of our internal/external customers and proactively provide appropriate solutions to build enduring relationships.
- Passion: Field Support Technicians consistently demonstrate dedication, passion and energy. They persevere in a positive manner in challenging situations. They demonstrate resilience and drive. They approach their work with a sense of personal pride.
Primary Job Responsibilities/Duties:
Deploy HeadStart Machines
- Coordinate with UAH sales and APEC manufacturing to forecast buildout and delivery of HeadStart (HDST) machines ahead of demand.
- Act as UAH Lead with hatchery and contractors from start to finish. Includes but not limited to working with the hatchery to set up required utilities and leading the installation of HDST machines to insure a successful start-up.
HDST Ongoing Development
- Create maintenance, service, and certification programs for the ongoing development of HDST .
- Develop computer maintenance management system, complete with parts buildout.
- Continuously search for ways to improve processes and reduce cost of HDST program
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for HDST operation in both written and video formats
- Develop and deliver training materials regarding maintenance, cleaning, operation, vaccine usage, inventory and documentation of HDST machines.
- Collaborate with sales and marketing, assist in the development and presentation of technical information and provide technical support to increase market share.
- Lead hiring, training, and management of regional field technician team
- Service, sample, and maintain HDST equipment as necessary
- Develop remote data acquisition, service, and support for HDST units
- Work with Research to bring other products to market for all species
- Work with other UAH departments, internal and external customers, as needed or required
Additional Job Responsibilities / Duties
- Other duties and responsibilities, as assigned
Typical Work Environment
- Work is conducted in a temperature-controlled office; however, some activities will be in non-temperature-controlled poultry facilities.
- Travel may be required based upon business need – up to 50%
Minimum Job Qualification Requirements:
- This position requires an Associate’s degree (Animal Science/Mechanical Engineering) or equivalent degree from an accredited institution. In lieu of degree, will accept two (2) years’ experience in a related field. Such fields may include livestock handling, husbandry, and healthcare, veterinary clinical assistance, and/or scientific animal research.
Relevant Job Experience:
- This person should have substantial knowledge of livestock husbandry, handling, and health, sufficient to execute the tasks as assigned.
Specialized Job/Technical Knowledge:
- Knowledge of animal agriculture industry preferred
- Knowledge of product planning and product introduction principles and processes
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Balance technical expertise as well as high levels of customer service
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent flexibility to adjust to changing priorities
- Excellent problem solving, planning and decision-making skills
- Owns communication externally with the customer and internally at UAH
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to adapt to various personalities
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Motivated, self-starter who can work independently, yet function and participate as part of a team.
- Must be willing to work different times as business needs dictate
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Champion of UAH Culture
- Ability to lift 50 or more pounds periodically
- Follow all company safety procedures and safety regulations
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in mechanical engineering or equivalent professional experience