Position Title: Food Safety & Regulatory Compliance Specialist
Department / Division: Operations/Nutrition
Position Reports To: QA/QC Regulatory Manager
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Approx. # of People Supervised: 0
Purpose of Position:
The primary function of this position is to administer company-wide food safety and regulatory compliance within the Nutrition Division. The role will lead on-site implementation of policies, continuous improvement processes and systems, shaping the United’s food safety and regulatory footprint.
- Ensures implementation and compliance of all food safety and regulatory policies and practices at assigned location.
- Assist customers with vendor and product approval requests and ensure expectations are met.
- Supports local leaders by building a strong culture of food safety and regulatory compliance.
- Monitors regulatory activities and acts as liaison with regulatory authorities at local, state, and federal levels.
- Analyzes, reviews, and interprets food safety and regulatory policies and practices to identify and drive continuous improvement efforts.
- Develops plans and deliver results in a fast-changing business or regulatory environment.
- Collaborates with Purchasing prior to the introduction of new or revised ingredients.
- Oversees vendor approvals regarding raw materials, ingredients, packaging materials, transportation, and contract services (toll mills, mill wrights, pest control, etc.).
- Maintains the supplier and product approvals on UAH’s sharing platform.
- Represents United by participating in organizations such as:
- American Feed Industry Association (AFIA)
- National Grain and Feed association (NGFA)
- American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO)
- Leads the Animal Food Safety Team
- Coordinates Animal Food Safety meetings, records and maintains meeting minutes
- Maintains the Animal Food Safety Plans and supporting documents for each manufacturing site
- Develops and coordinates Animal Food Safety Plan training
- Assists with the development and review process of facility management reviews.
- Oversees and maintains the Foreign Supplier Verification Program
- Handles state feed licensing and tonnage taxes
- Handles state sampling violation letters
- Oversee compliance of regulatory requirements:
- Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act
- Bioterrorism Act
- Medicated Current Good Manufacturing Practices
- Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE)
- Food Safety Modernization Act
- Preventive Controls Hazard Analysis
- Good Manufacturing Practices
- Foreign Supplier Verification Program
- Sanitary Transportation
- Assist with FDA and State inspections
- Oversees product tag/label compliance with state and federal requirements
- Oversee the registration for:
- Bioterrorism Act (FFR)
- Drug Establishment (DER)
- Assist with international regulatory issues
- Collaborates with Research, Marketing and Product Management on new product development
- Reviews promotional material for regulatory compliance:
- Company booth displays
- Oral or written statements
Typical Work Environment
- Majority of work is conducted in a temperature-controlled office environment
- Exposed to a variety of environmental conditions in the mills including dusty conditions
- Must be able to safely climb ladders to access equipment and storage bins
- Some overnight travel to feed mills, customer sites and meetings
- Hybrid work-eligible
Minimum Job Qualification Requirements:
Education / Training:
- BS Degree in Agriculture or related field or a minimum of two years’ experience in quality assurance
- Quality and regulatory auditing
- Preventive Control Qualified Individual
- Foreign Supplier Verification Program
Specialized Job / Technical Knowledge:
- Knowledge of animal nutrition and related software
- Knowledge of quality issues/concerns in the feed industry (past, present, & future)
- Knowledge of feed manufacturing and product delivery
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Ability to handle critical situations when a quality complication arises
- Proactive with rectifying quality issues
- Multi-tasking ability
- Excellent organizational skills
- Team player
- Proficient in relevant software programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and TEAMs
- Skilled within DERA Insight to utilize for internal auditing
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. or more pounds periodically
- Adhere to manufacturing safety manual when completing facility audits
- Follow all company safety procedures and safety regulations
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- 4 years of professional experience in FDA regulatory compliance.
- Possess extensive knowledge and organization when coordinating food safety and regulatory applications.