Position Title: Laboratory Assistant (Part-Time)
Department/Group: R & I
Reports To: Analytical Services Manager
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt
Approx. # of People Supervised: 0
Summary/Purpose of Position:
The Lab Assistant will be responsible for processing samples, performing routine tests and assisting other laboratory staff. An ideal candidate will possess strong time management skills, have a high attention to detail and be able to effectively communicate with others in the lab. This is a part-time (20-24 hours/week) position with flexible hours within the operating hours of the Lab (Monday-Friday 8-5)
Primary Job Responsibilities/Duties:
- Performs particle size testing on corn, complete feed and other feed ingredients
- Washes glassware
- Restocks supplies and prepares commonly used reagents
- Grinds, weighs out, and extracts samples for analysis
- Maintains and calibrates lab equipment
- Maintains sample inventory, storage and disposal
- Adheres to laboratory safety policies
- Communicates with confidence.
- Possesses strong emotional intelligence traits.
- Demonstrated ability to coach laterally and upwards.
- Collaborates expertly with internal customers to create constructive, crossfunctional partnerships.
- Seeks out and creates new and more effective ways to engage with the customer & team members to be most effective.
- Leads teams to resolve complex customer problems.
Additional Job Responsibilities/Duties:
- Other duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
Typical Work Environment:
- A portion of this work is conducted in a laboratory environment with exposure to chemicals and various types of laboratory equipment
- A portion of this work is conducted in a temperature-regulated office
- A portion of this work is conducted at a commercial feed mill and research farm
Minimum Job Qualification Requirements:
- High School Diploma, General Educational Development Diploma (GED) or equivalent experience
Relevant Job Experience:
Specialized Job/Technical Knowledge:
- Knowledge of basic laboratory procedures and safety
- Knowledge of experimental procedures
- Knowledge of how to use Microsoft Excel for data entry
- Knowledge of how to communicate via Microsoft Outlook
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks consistently
- Willingness to learn new skills
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Champion of United Animal Health cultural values
- Ability to lift 25 or more pounds periodically
- Ability to work around chemicals
- Ability to stand during working hours
- Follow all company safety procedures and safety regulations