Product Manager – DFMs
Position Title: Product Manager – DFMs
Department / Group: Research / Nutrition
Position Reports To: Director – Product Management
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Approx. # of People Supervised: 0
Summary/Purpose of Position:
The primary purpose of this position is to manage the DFM product development activities from concept to post-launch to ensure the company has a pipeline of financially robust DFM products that proactively meet customer needs. Responsible for DFM product planning throughout the product lifecycle including: gathering and prioritizing product and customer requirements, assisting with defining product vision and working closely with Product Manager-Blended Products, Product Manager – Feed Additives to ensure revenue and customer satisfaction goals are met. It also includes ensuring each DFM product within the portfolio supports the company’s sales strategy and goals.
Responsibility & Initiative: Product Managers take initiative – they request, create, and absorb quantitative and qualitative data and communicate what it means effectively.
Interpersonally Adaptable: Product Managers communicate when times are good and handle the tough situations as they come up.
Customer Centric: Product Managers have great empathy for their customers and all their stakeholders. They are interested in what makes people tick and how they can help others succeed.
Passion: Product Managers can see into an ideal future and create almost tangible visions of what the world should look like. They want to bring others along with them in this journey as they create valuable products and experiences.
Primary Job Responsibilities/Duties
- Generate and prioritize great new DFM products or features by collaborating with Sales, Research and other stakeholders in addition to researching customers, pricing, and data analysis.
- Manage and coordinate product development schedule and projects from product concept phase to post product launch in product life cycle
- Work with Sales, Procurement, Manufacturing Operations and external customers to validate new products or product changes are ready to go to market.
- Lead product launch strategy and execution
- Work in tandem with UAH Sales teams to develop strategies to drive revenue growth and market share growth for in-line products
- Oversee the preparation of cost analyses and assist in revenue forecasts for products under development
- Oversee the management of field-based product prototypes
- Partner with and work effectively with other functional groups within the company
- Manage project budgets and prepare reports for management
- Collaborate with multiple departments to ensure that changes made to new and existing products stay on track and are communicated internally and externally.
- Determine whether and when to retire or replace a product and plan and execute a successful end-of-life campaign.
- Recommend selling support materials to Marketing for internal and external communication of new and existing products within product lines.
- Collaborates with patent and trademarking to ensure protection of company intellectual property.
- Build and maintain a 3 – 5 year product road map
Additional Job Responsibilities/Duties
- Other duties and responsibilities, as assigned
Typical Work Environment
- Majority of work is conducted in a temperature-controlled office environment
- Travel may be required based upon business need – 25%
Minimum Job Qualification Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Animal Science or Animal Nutrition or equivalent professional experience
Relevant Job Experience:
- 6+ years professional experience in product design, management or marketing activities
Specialized Job/Technical Knowledge:
- Knowledge of animal agriculture industry preferred
- Knowledge of product planning and product introduction principles and processes
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a given time and adhere to timelines
- Ability to work collaboratively with individuals from various functional areas
- Excellent fiscal management skills
- Attention to detail
- Excellent flexibility to adjust to changing priorities
- Excellent problem solving, planning and decision-making skills
- Ability to motivate others and collaborate with functional teams
- Owns communication externally with the customer and internally at UAH
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to adapt to various personalities
- Professional verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Confident presentation skills
- Energetic, enthusiastic, determined and goal-oriented
- Champion of UAH Culture
- Ability to lift 20 or more pounds periodically
- Follow all company safety procedures and safety regulations
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- MBA or Master’s Degree in Marketing, Agri-business, Business Management, Animal Science, or equivalent professional experience