Position Title: Production Scientist – Swine Research Farms Manager
Dept / Group: Research / Nutrition
Position Reports To: VP of Research
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Approx. # of People Supervised: 3
Job Grade: E6
Summary / Purpose of Position:
The primary purpose of this position is to supervise and coordinate all research farms staff in order to optimize production of healthy, high quality pigs and serve internal United Animal Health business units through creative design and execution of research purposed to achieve research priorities. Ability to collaborate with UAH Research, Technical Service, Sales and external scientists to execute research priorities in a team approach is required.
Primary Job Responsibilities / Duties, but not limited to the following:
- Construct and execute digital solutions research projects as prioritized by UAH business units.
- Coordinate research farm activities to maximize quality and efficiency of research work under protocols established by the research team.
- Hold research farms accountable for effective research methodology and maintaining research schedules
- Complete operational requirements by assisting managers and conducting weekly meetings to advise staff and troubleshoot problems that affect production and research, and maximize efficiency of operation by ensuring appropriate levels of supplies
- Coordinate activity and communication with Research Group by attending Research monthly meetings
- Regulate efficiency of pig flow
- Identify maintenance needs and protect the safety of the staff and livestock
- Manage workforce planning by responding to staffing challenges while monitoring employee relations issues
- Innovate research process towards greater efficiency in the utilization of resources and application of outcomes.
- Actively pursue potential digital technologies and novel products with partners and vendors for use by UAH and their customers.
- Actively support and work alongside Technical Service teams on the education of Strategic Account Managers and Territory Managers regarding research outcomes and technology utilization.
- Contribute actively in teams directed to define market and value opportunities for potential novel product development
Additional Job Responsibilities / Duties
- Other duties and responsibilities, as assigned
Typical Work Environment
- Majority of work is conducted in a temperature controlled office environment
In order to apply for this position, the candidate must meet the following requirements:
Minimum Job Qualification Requirements:
Education / Training:
- S. or PhD in Animal Science or related field
Relevant Job Experience:
- 2 –5 years professional experience in swine application research
Specialized Job / Technical Knowledge:
- Knowledge of animal agricultural industry preferred
- Knowledge of swine production systems
- Knowledge of animal nutrition principles
- Excellent knowledge of design of experiments fundamentals, plus statistical analysis techniques
- Ability to use Microsoft Office for presentation and statistical analysis purposes
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a given time.
- Ability to collaboratively with individuals from various functional areas.
- Excellent flexibility to adjust to changing priorities and job assignments
- Excellent problem solving and planning skills
- Working within a matrix organization and shared services environments
- Ability to travel approximately 20% of the time
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Champion of UAH Culture
Licenses / Certification:
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Ability to work both in office and farm environment
- Follow all company safety guidelines and procedures
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- PhD in Animal Nutrition is preferred