Position Title: Quality Control Specialist
Department / Division: Operations / Nutrition
Position Reports To: QA / QC Regulatory Manager
Approx. # of People Supervised: 0
Location: Sheridan, IN
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Job Grade: N/A
Summary/Purpose of Position:
The primary function of this position is to administer company-wide quality control activities within the Nutrition Division. Quality Control activities are product oriented.
Primary Job Responsibilities / Duties:
- Coordinates with QA and Research ingredients and manufactured products to collect and type of analysis to perform
- Coordinates with QC personnel the collection of ingredients and manufactured products to be analyzed.
- Visually inspects ingredients and manufactured product samples before lab submission
- Coordinates and conducts QC sample processing and preparation for lab submission
- Enters and organizes lab reports in database.
- Analyzes QC lab data with QA and Research to determine product conformance and any corrective action.
- Works with formulation staff to establish and maintain feed tag guarantees.
- Develops and oversee corn quality and Mycotoxin testing.
- Evaluates PDI data and other manufacturing data that is generated by production and QC team members
- Manages implementation of special QC requests from customers
- Manages certificates of analysis for incoming and outbound products
- Oversees and maintains the QC visuals for ingredients and manufactured products
- Coordinates and summarizes internal and external mixer studies
- Coordinates and summarizes contamination studies
Additional Job Descriptions/Duties
- Internal auditing of facilities
- Audit ingredient suppliers, toll mills and customer mill sites
- Meet with suppliers, purchasing, and Research staff prior to the introduction of new ingredients into production system
- Assist Research Staff on various projects as requested.
- Maintains knowledge of customer complaint issues relating to product quality and works with QA to resolve issues
- Maintains knowledge of Quality Assurance Manual and Feed and Food Safety Policies
Typical Work Environment
- Majority of work is conducted in a temperature-controlled office environment
- Exposed to a variety of environmental conditions in the mills including dusty conditions.
- Able to safely clime ladders to access equipment and storage bins.
- Required traveling and overnight stays to mills, customer sites and away meetings
Minimum Job Qualification Requirements:
Education / Training:
- BS Degree in Agriculture or related field or a minimum of four years of experience in Quality
- Quality and regulatory auditing
Specialized Job / Technical Knowledge:
- Knowledge of animal nutrition and related software
- Knowledge of quality issues/concerns in the feed industry (past, present, & future).
- Knowledge of feed manufacturing and product delivery.
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent communications skills
- Ability to handle critical situations when a quality complication arises.
- Proactive with quality issues.
- Multi-tasking ability
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Team player.
- Proficient in relevant software programs including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Well versed with Internet use and search engines.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. or more pounds periodically
- Adhere to manufacturing safety manual when working in facility doing audits, etc.
- Follow all company safety procedures and safety regulations
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- 2 years of professional experience in quality
- Possess extensive knowledge and organization when coordinating quality assurance and quality control applications