Primary Job Responsibilities / Duties:
- Prepare data generated at research locations for summarization. Conduct data analysis and interpret with the principal investigator and research team. Generate tables, project reports, and slide presentations. Maintain organized records and history of projects. Present findings to team members, the sales force, and customers.
- Manage protocols at the office, farm, and laboratory level. Communicate background, justification, objectives and methods with research locations. Write protocols for research locations to implement and oversee experimental farm & contract animal research trials.
- Communicate proactively with research locations to organize research projects and provide trial design information, formulations, and all needed information to complete the study from start to finish. Routinely monitor research projects at farm level, report to team members on progress, and assist in feed manufacture, animal weighing, and sample collection at research locations when needed.
- Organize logistics of ingredient and feed ordering, feed manufacture, and delivery for research projects to farms as well as prepare samples to send off for analysis. Perform laboratory procedures, including preparation of fecal material, animal tissues, and feed samples for analysis.
- Maintain company publications, research reports, and assist in the communication of information to other team members. Conduct literature reviews and research background information to share with R&D personnel.
- Provide support for diet formulation, quality control, and special research projects as needed. This may include database management of information, managing quality control processes, and other sampling needs, as appropriate.
Additional Job Responsibilities / Duties
- Assist with routine farm activities, such as farrowing, weaning, tagging, and weighing pigs, as needed
- Other duties and responsibilities, as assigned
Typical Work Environment
- Some work is conducted outdoors at a livestock farm with exposure to the elements
- Some work is conducted in a temperature-regulated office environment
- Some travel may be required to UAH Research Farms
Minimum Job Qualification Requirements:
Education / Training:
- BS Degree in an agriculture or biology related field of study, or
- 3 years experience in an animal research position
Specialized Job / Technical Knowledge:
- Have background knowledge of animal husbandry and the desire to work with animals.
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills with ability to work effectively with others
- Must desire to work as a team, but proactively accomplish individual and team responsibilities.
- Excellent time management and multi-tasking skills
- Excellent record-keeping skills, both written and electronic
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy in performing work
- Willing and able to learn nutritional concepts and statistical design processes.
- Able to be flexible in their daily schedule.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and company e-mail system
- Ability to utilize the internet.
Licenses / Certification:
- None (Will be required to have Pork Quality Assurance (PQA) Training upon hire)
- Ability to lift 50 or more pounds periodically
- Follow all company safety procedures and safety regulations
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- 1 – 2 years professional experience working within a team to accomplish company goals.
- 1 – 2 years experience in animal agriculture