Position Title: Laboratory Associate II
Position Reports To: Laboratory General Manager
Approx. # of People Supervised: 0
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Job Grade: N/A
Department/Division: R & I
Summary/Purpose of Position:
The purpose of this position is to assist in evaluating the mode of action of various nutritional ingredients and their effects on animal performance. A Lab Associate II must demonstrate a high-level of proficiency in a variety of laboratory biochemical and immunochemical assay procedures and an ability to effectively document and communicate results for R&D and QC personnel. The individual will interact with researchers, technical service and sales staff to identify opportunities to apply lab resources and present results.
Primary Job Responsibilities/Duties:
- Designs and executes experiments to evaluate gastrointestinal responses to diets and feed ingredients (e.g. quantitate gene expression levels), performs in vitro modeling, and use of other molecular assay procedures to advance research ‘wildly important goals’ (W.I.G.).
- Collaborates with research teams and applies lab capabilities to better understand the mode of action of different feeding strategies, as well as connections between biological response and animal performance.
- Leads and develops in vitro and ex vivo animal models and lab-based tests to evaluate products and suggest improvements to enhance the effectiveness of research trials.
- Draws conclusions based on statistical analysis of assay and animal performance data and recommends follow-up actions to make product improvements and QC decisions.
- Develops and maintains QC protocols and analysis for new and improved feed ingredient products.
- Proactively pursues new ideas and opportunities to advance analytical capabilities of the company.
- Assists in conducting research trials including set-up, sample collection, and data analysis.
- Prioritizes time to maintain project deadlines and facilitates sample analysis as required to support customer service.
Additional Job Responsibilities/Duties
- Other duties and responsibilities, as assigned
Typical Work Environment
- A portion of this work is conducted in a laboratory environment with exposure to chemicals and various types of laboratory equipment
- A portion of this work is conducted in a temperature-regulated office
- A portion of this work is conducted at a commercial feed mill and research farm
Minimum Job Qualification Requirements:
- BS Degree in Chemistry, Biology, Animal Science or equivalent professional experience
Relevant Job Experience:
- 6-10 years of experience in animal nutrition, chemical or biochemical testing procedures
Specialized Job/Technical Knowledge:
- Experience with spectrophotometric measurement techniques including microtiter plate-based assays
- Experience with in vitro animal models
- Experience with cell culture techniques
- Experience with sample collection from animal research trials
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office software
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal & communications skills
- Ability to perform job without close supervision
- Project management
- Ability to analyze results, draw conclusions and make recommendations
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent accuracy in performing work
- Collaboration in a team-based environment
- Champion of UAH cultural values
- Ability to lift 20 or more pounds periodically
- Ability to work around chemicals including enzymes
- Follow all company safety procedures and safety regulations