Position Title: Senior Manager – Poultry Nutrition & Technical Support
Research Internal Title: Same as Above
Reports To: VP of Research
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Approx. # of People Supervised: TBD
Summary/Purpose of Position:
The purpose of this position is to lead, manage and oversee the management and execution of poultry product research & technical service activities. Provides expertise and guidance on poultry feed and nutrition to nutritional customers in the industry. Participates in the product development and support functions that generate sales of innovative and technically advanced poultry products by our sales teams. Coordinates expertise for the UAH poultry nutrition product portfolio and its application in the market.
Primary Job Responsibilities/Duties:
Core Research & Technical Services Planning and Product Support
- Lead research activities in the development and evaluation of new DFM and enzyme-based products and technologies. Remains current with the latest technologies and determines which products and technologies meet business and customer requirements in a highly competitive market sector.
- Effectively and regularly communicate with domestic & international sales, research, product management to facilitate efficient and effective attainment of leading-edge products and services.
- Develop, conduct and supervise entire major research projects for the company.
- Manage deployment of technical services team members to key accounts and customers based on need requirements.
- Provide business analyses and develop costing proposals and cost/benefit analyses of potential product and technology solutions.
- Actively collaborate with Sr. Product Manager-DFMs, Product Manager-Poultry & DFM Pak, Research, and Sales Team regarding research needs, outcomes, and application.
- Assist with attaining new business by overcoming customer resistance and help initiate the prospect to order through technical persuasion and sales support.
- Create product value for existing products (DFMs/enzymes) by understanding new market needs and differentiating UAH specialty products from competitive commodity products.
- Execute a role as the UAH research and technical ambassador through research/technical presentations at industry meetings & academic symposia, technical publications, issue-pertinent fact sheets, participating in industry-specific committees and organizations.
- Work with UAH poultry sales to develop sales training opportunities and tools for value-added marketing and sales campaigns. Provides an on-going program of training sales force within specified territory on 1) how to utilize technical literature, 2) new programs and practices relating to specialty products, 3) the correct positioning of UAH products in the market and poultry industry.
- Develop external enzyme and DFM (Direct Fed Microbial) database and conduct competitive analysis of universities and competitors. Develop global strategic recommendations.
Scientific / Process Knowledge
- Understand the technical service support function, collaboration needs with research team, animal production systems and competitive landscape in relation to services offered;
- Adjusts technical service responses based on customer needs and develops strategies conducive to retaining them.
- Determine necessary technical information needed to support sales and margin growth of our product portfolio for the agreed upon species with input from research leadership in conjunction with product management
- Transfer technology for new products from the development phase to manufacturing.
- Provide oversight in the training and development of Strategic Account Managers in terms of product attributes and services provided
- Provide leadership and oversight to research teams to conduct specific research and directing the technical services group to provide efficient, value-added technology and services to customers. This includes training and developing the potential of technical services team members and monitoring their performance in order to achieve company goals and best-in-industry practices.
- Provide leadership and direction to the technical services group by providing ideas and potential solutions in order to engage and successfully resolve any service issues.
- Identifies hi-potential future talent, coaches, develops and leads team members so that they perform effectively; recognizes and rewards efforts of those who make outstanding contributions. Provides stretch opportunities when appropriate to increase skill, leadership depth and career growth to retain critical talent.
Additional Job Responsibilities/Duties
- Other duties and responsibilities, as assigned
Typical Work Environment
- Majority of work is conducted in a temperature-controlled office environment
Minimum Job Qualification Requirements:
- MS Degree in Animal Science or Animal Nutrition with emphasis in swine or equivalent professional experience
Relevant Job Experience:
- 12+ years job experience in animal nutrition activities
- 10+ years job experience in research & technical services roles
- 2 years supervisory experience
Specialized Job/Technical Knowledge:
- Excellent knowledge of poultry nutrition principles
- Thorough understanding and knowledge of current industry trends in technology and poultry nutrition products
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communications skills with ability to develop effective relationships with people of varying technical understandings and different levels of the organization
- Excellent planning skills with ability to manage multiple projects at a given time
- Ability to think on feet and respond effectively to customer inquiries
- Ability to communicate difficult or sensitive information with tact
- Ability to delegate, motivate and manage subordinates effectively
- Ability to work under pressure, problem solve and make effective decisions
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrate effective use of time
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with individuals from various functional areas
- Excellent flexibility to adjust to changing priorities and job assignments
- Must be resourceful and able to work in a rapidly changing, high pressure environment
- Ability to proactively stay on the leading edge of industry technology and advancements in animal nutrition
- Working within a matrix organization and shared services environments
- Champion of the United Animal Health Culture
- Ability to lift 20 or more pounds periodically
- Follow all company safety procedures and safety regulations
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- PhD in Animal Nutrition with emphasis in poultry science and nutrition