Position Title: Staff Research Scientist – Swine
Reports To: VP of Research
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Approx. # of People Supervised: TBD
Summary/Purpose of Position:
The primary purpose of the Staff Research Scientist-Swine position is to provide oversight of the creative design and execution of research conducted within the Research function at United Animal Health. The Staff Scientist is also responsible for the development of a technical services program that provides value to the sales function and the customer base of an ever-changing marketplace.
Primary Job Responsibilities/Duties, but not limited to the following:
- Develop, conduct and supervise entire major research projects for the company
- Provide leadership and oversight to associate scientists and other support personnel to conduct specific research and provide technical services activities
- Contribute actively to discussion of protocols, data, and project reports as a member of the Research Field Operations Team.
- Provide input regarding product development activities that support a robust pipeline of market leading products.
- Supervise and collaborate with United researchers and external scientists to execute research projects.
- Author marketing and scientific articles as appropriate.
- Attend scientific meetings and make scientific presentations at such meetings
- Assist Strategic Account and Territory Managers in supporting customers, as needed
- Assist in the development of sales strategies that incorporate research findings.
- Actively support and supervise technical service team members on the education of sales team members regarding research outcomes and technology utilization.
- Identify key initiatives within the technical services function in support of customers
- Serves as the main contact in terms of technical service programs that support the sales team and its customers
- Develop and conduct internal and external technical presentations to support sales and technical service.
In order to apply for this position, the candidate must meet the following requirements:
Skill & Knowledge Requirements:
- 10 – 15 years professional experience in animal nutrition and animal research roles
- 6 – 8 years professional experience in design of experiments and statistical analysis
- 2+ years experience in technical services role for animal nutrition
- 2+ years experience leading others
- M.S. in Animal Science or related field or equivalent professional experience
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. occasionally
- Ability to work both in office and farm environment
Specialized Job/Technical Knowledge:
- Knowledge of animal agricultural industry preferred
- Excellent knowledge of animal nutrition principles
- Knowledge of design of experiments fundamentals, plus statistical analysis techniques
- Knowledge of customer business success factors in order to provide meaningful technical services
- Ability to use Microsoft Office for presentation and statistical analysis purposes
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a given time
- Ability to collaboratively with individuals from various functional areas.
- Excellent flexibility to adjust to changing priorities and job assignments
- Excellent problem solving and planning skills
- Excellent leadership skills with ability to motivate others
- Excellent influencing skills, both internally and externally
- Working within a matrix organization and shared services environments
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Inspires commitment through self and others.
- Ability to travel approximately 20% of the time
Other Preferred Skills:
- PhD in Animal Nutrition is preferred