Position Title: Strategic Account Manager – Poultry
Department/Group: Sales/ANH Position
Reports To: Director – US Poultry Sales
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Approx. # of People Supervised: 0
Summary/Purpose of Position:
The Strategic Account Manager (SAM) maintains and expands relationships with key poultry customers. Assigned to several accounts and/or geography within the US Poultry market, the SAM is responsible for achieving sales quota and strategic account objectives. The SAM represents the entire range of UAH products and services to key accounts, while assisting with the customer account planning cycle and ensuring assigned accounts’ needs and expectations are met by the company.
Primary Job Responsibilities/Duties:
- Create and execute strategic business plans for each account balancing UAH offerings and P&L analysis by customer.
- Conversant in each of UAH’s core business units (Microbials, Research, Supply Chain, Marketing), and knows when to engage appropriate resources to deliver value to UAH and customer.
- Consistently call on accounts in assigned market segments.
- Demonstrates ability to successfully work as a team with complex accounts (customers with multiple decision makers, influencers, etc.).
- Leads team by example and word; manages pressure and conflict well; transfers knowledge and intel to strategic poultry account team.
- Willingness to assess and take appropriate risks to achieve business goals (within business boundaries). • Able to initiate projects and action on behalf of the customer and UAH; does not wait for directions.Additional Job Descriptions/Duties
- Internal auditing of facilities
- Audit ingredient suppliers, toll mills and customer mill sites
- Meet with suppliers, purchasing, and Research staff prior to the introduction of new ingredients into production system
- Assist Research Staff on various projects as requested.
- Maintains knowledge of customer complaint issues relating to product quality and works with QA to resolve issues
- Maintains knowledge of Quality Assurance Manual and Feed and Food Safety Policies
- Communicates with confidence.
- Possesses strong emotional intelligence traits.
- Demonstrated ability to coach laterally and upwards.
- Collaborates expertly with internal customers to create constructive, crossfunctional partnerships.
- Seeks out and creates new and more effective ways to engage with the customer & team members to be most effective.
- Leads teams to resolve complex customer problems.
- Balances strategic and tactical business requirements.
- Demonstrates the ability to negotiate to a win-win for UAH and customer.
- Creatively works with customer to jointly co-create solutions that secure a winwin for UAH and the customer; Articulates impact of interventions on the customer’s business (financial, meeting business goals, etc.).
Additional Job Requirements:
- Establishes productive, professional relationships with key stakeholders in assigned accounts.
- Collaborates with Director-US Poultry Sales and broader strategic team to establish long-term and annual sales strategies, tactics and targets in order to leverage new business opportunities.
- Analyzes and reviews market opportunities and new product development activities that translates into additional sales and revenue generating opportunities.
- Offers a full portfolio of new and current products and services offered by UAH and masters new product knowledge and services through partnering with Product Management team.
- Participates in professional development opportunities to aid in professional growth.
- Assist in the development of a sales plan/strategy and implementation of that plan.
- Other duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
Typical Work Environment
- Majority of work is conducted in a safe environment such as a vehicle, farm, poultry facility, or home office. A significant amount of time is spent driving to customers and touring customer facilities.
Minimum Job Qualification Requirements:
Education / Training:
- BS Degree in agriculture or other relevant major or equivalent professional experience.
- Business management course work or equivalent professional experience.
Relevant Job Experience:
- 10+ years direct sales experience, preferred
- 5+ years of experience in poultry production preferred
- 3+ years of experience in business management and/or sales planning
Specialized Job / Technical Knowledge:
- Knowledge of poultry economics, sales & marketing principles
- General knowledge of poultry nutrition
- Microsoft and solid computer usage skills (Excel, Word, & Power Point)
- Knowledge of business management and leadership principles
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Champion of UAH culture
- Lead team effort to own and solve customer problems
- Values account planning/developing strategy with team members
- Owns communication externally with the customer and internally at UAH
- Self-starter, team player
- Possess ability to determine and set direction
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to adapt to various personalities
- Professional verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to lead, motivate, and contribute to a team atmosphere
- Effective problem solving
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Confident presentation and selling skills
- Energetic, enthusiastic, determined and goal-oriented
- Valid driver operator license Physical Requirements:
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. occasionally
- Ability to do overnight travel via air or driving
- 50% travel may be required
- Follow all company safety procedures and safety regulations
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in agriculture or other relevant major or equivalent professional experience