Summary / Purpose of Position:
The primary purpose of the Technical Service Specialist – Ruminants is to be responsible for supporting both the technical service and core research needs of customers and sales teams by utilizing knowledge, expertise, customer feedback and current research. This role will function within ruminant species with a strong emphasis on supporting domestic market needs initially while broadening to international market coverage for United Animal Health. It will also focus on supporting our problem-solving approach with existing customers and ensure customer satisfaction by providing product quality information as well as analysis, research and results from research trials and other sources of credible information.
- Provide technical support to dairy sales team members to include education of current products or nutrition concepts, assist in product sales and services, customer visits, dairy farm production audits and evaluation of ingredient composition and quality.
- Contribute actively to discussion of protocols, data, and project reports as a member of the Research Field Operations Team.
- Participate with research in new technologies in dairy nutrition including specialty products, forage evaluation and product testing. This includes literature review, trial design/implementation, diet formulation, protocol development, trial compliance, statistical analysis, report of research findings (written and oral), and future direction.
- Assist research team to evaluate field trails, suggest product testing and product development.
- Provide feedback on market development and customer needs to steer innovative product development that maintains competitive advantage.
- Identify key initiatives within the technical services function in support of customers.
- Serves as the main contact in terms of technical service programs that support the Dairy Business Group sales team and its customers:
- Assist Sr/ Territory Managers in supporting customers, as needed.
- Assist in the development of sales strategies that incorporate research findings.
- Develop and conduct internal and external technical presentations to support sales and technical service.
- Contribute to the strategic direction of dairy research and new product development and market introduction as directed by the Manager of Dairy – Specialty Products Research & Technical Service.
- Conduct business intelligence to identify new business and product opportunities to support Product Management and Dairy Business Group sales team.
- Develop external relations and key contacts within the industry.
- Author marketing and scientific articles as appropriate.
- Attend scientific meetings and make scientific presentations at such meetings.
- Prepare species business case and coordinate with marketing team to prepare sales tools & programs for successful achievement of required market share.
- Collaborate with other UAH researchers, product management and external scientists to execute research projects as needed.
- Analyze data related to nutrition, feed ingredients, and diets as they relate to growth, performance, and cost.
- Engage as a critical member of customer support teams through relationship building, providing technical resources, coaching colleagues and collaborating on strategy.
To apply for this position, the candidate must meet the following requirements:
Skill & Education Requirements:
- MSc Degree in Animal Science with emphasis in ruminant nutrition and 5+ years of professional experience; OR,
- PhD Degree in Animal Science, microbiology, immunology, or related field with experience in ruminant nutrition; OR,
- DVM with professional experience working with ruminants
Typical Work Environment:
- Work is conducted in a temperature-controlled office; however, some activities will be in non-temperature-controlled facilities.
- Travel may be required based upon business need – up to 50%
- Hybrid-work eligible
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. occasionally
Specialized Job / Technical Knowledge:
- Extensive knowledge of cattle industries with proven track record of accomplishment in livestock production, health, and animal nutrition
- Hands on experience in animal husbandry, especially dairy and/or beef cattle
- Experience in applying nutritional knowledge in feed or feed ingredients
- Effective industry contacts and proven industry relationships
- Excellent knowledge of ruminant nutrition and forage management principles
- Knowledge of customer operations to provide meaningful technical services
- Ability to use Microsoft Office for presentations, reports, and statistical analysis purposes
- Ability to use dairy herd management software (DairyComp305, PCDart, etc.)
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communications skills with ability to develop effective relationships with people of varying technical understandings and different levels of the organization
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a given time
- Ability to collaborate with individuals from various functional areas
- Excellent flexibility to adjust to changing priorities and job assignments
- Excellent problem solving and planning skills
- Excellent leadership skills with ability to motivate others
- Excellent influencing skills, both internally and externally
- Ability to work within a matrix organization and shared services environments
- Accomplished team player
- Inspires commitment through self and others
- Ability to proactively stay on the leading edge of industry technology and advancements in animal nutrition
- Passion to learn and handle new challenges
- Champion of United Animal Health culture
Licenses / Certification:
Other Preferred Skills:
- 10+ years of professional experience preferred